Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Gran Torino - Clint Still Has It

I saw Gran Torino this weekend. It was an amazing movie - Clint Eastwood still has the magic even though he's pushing 80.

Thought it'd be an more action oriented film from the previews, but it was just a drama. The hardest part of the movie to digest was the racial slurs slung back and forth, mostly by Clint's character (Walt Kawlaski). But I loved the dynamics between Walt and his neighbors, how he's won over by kindness (even though he's undeserving in many ways).

The ending is fitting for a man who's made his living blowing people away in the movies. I was greatly anticipating the final battle and was really moved by the the resolution. I wasn't expecting Walt's final sacrifice nor the clever resolution to the gang issue. I'm trying not to give anything away, but the ending is powerful and I confess I cried and continued to wipe tears away for a good fifteen minutes after the movie.

I give the movie four stars! It's a winner.
Peace out!
R.R.O.

1 comment:

  1. I really want to see this movie. One of my coworkers had a very similar review to yours. Jay and I are going to go see the Wrestler this weekend.

    ReplyDelete