Monday, February 2, 2009

Valhalla Rising, by Clive Clusser

Lost References:
A copy of this 2001 book by Clive Cussler is seen on Ben’s bookshelf, on the 2nd tier in the episode Through the Looking Glass.

Valhalla Rising was a sea adventure mystery novel - a new "Titanic"-like passenger ship catches fire and begins to sink into the ocean. A passing science excursion ship passes by and begins one of the best rescue scenes I've ever read in a novel. The passenger liner sinks after 2000 people are successfully rescued and the mystery as to the cause of the tragedy begins to unravel - a tale tying together the ancient legends of Vikings, Captain Nemo, and the greed of modern day oil barons. It was a fun read, very adventurous.

Two things I liked about the book:
1) The author of the book wrote himself into a scene - and saved the day. It was very funny.
2) The rescue scenes - througout the book - were pretty amazing. I think the main character led a total of six major rescues in the book. They were all a bit over the top - but fun and cool at the same time.

What I didn't like: the next book from the Lost list I wanted to read was "Mysterious Island" by Jules Vern. But Valhalla Rising talked about this book and spilled the entire plot of "Mysterious Island."

So, I went to the library and checked out "Heart of Darkness," by Joseph Conrad and "Lancelot" by Walter Percy. I'm not sure I will make it through "Heart of Darkness" - I'm not jiving with Conrad's writing style, even though the book's been referenced many times on Lost.

Anyway, peace for now!
R.R.O.

No comments:

Post a Comment